Broken thermometer - Green window

Go to content

Main menu:

Mercury
 
 
 
 


How to handle a broken fluorescent lamp or thermometer containing mercury?



 

First, air the room in which the lamp or thermometer has been broken - vapours containing mercury particles poison very quickly.

Next, close the door to the room so that no one can enter it, thus avoiding spreading mercury particles to the remaining rooms in a flat or a house.

Using rubber gloves (protecting against direct skin contact with mercury), collect the pieces of glass from the floor, wipe the floor with wet disposable paper towels and put everything in a tightly closed plastic bag (together with the gloves).


Wash your hands thoroughly and dispose of the bag at a fluorescent lamp collection point.


In case of spilling mercury in a chemical laboratory, collect spilled mercury thoroughly and neutralize its remains by covering them with sulphur, zinc dust or asolution, e.g. 20% iron(III) chloride aqueous solution.


 
 
Back to content | Back to main menu